Have you ever walked up to a locked door, reached into your pocket for the key, and found only loose change and your phone? Is the key just temporarily misplaced or lost forever? Either way, it’s an “Oh no!” moment that leaves you shaken.
You start wondering how long this is going to take. How much will it cost? Will I have to spend the night outside?
It’s not the most fun feeling in the world, is it? In fact, it can be downright frustrating. You’re trying to get inside, but you just can’t seem to find your key.
But wait! Before you start panicking and wondering how you’re going to get inside, let’s look at some ways that may help you get back into your house without too much fuss.
Apex Locksmiths can teach you how to open a door without a key. We will show you how to do it, step by step so that if you ever find yourself locked out again, you will know exactly what to do.
5 Ways to Get Inside Your House Without a Key
There are lots of things you can do to get inside without a key. We’re going to take you through some of the most common ways people get inside their homes when they don’t have their keys with them.
1. Use a paper clip
If you have a paperclip handy and can get it into the lock, try inserting it into the keyhole and jiggling it around until you feel the lock loosen up. If this doesn’t work, try applying pressure on the paper clips while wiggling it in the lock.
- Step 1: Insert the end of the paper clip into the lock
- Step 2: Pull up on the latch while pushing down on the pin with the other end of the paper clip. You may need to use a lot of force.
- Step 3: Once you hear a click, pull down on your handle and the door should open
2. Use a credit card
If you don’t have any paper clips but still want to get inside, try using a credit card instead (or any thin piece of plastic) as a makeshift screwdriver! The same principle applies here: insert it into the lock, apply pressure and wiggle.
- Step 1: You will have to angle your card towards the latch bolt’s side which is in a slanted position as it will help you in pushing the latch bolt resting in the strike plate.
- Step 2: Keep pushing the credit card against the angled latch and meanwhile add your pressure against the door so that the door gets unlocked.
3. Use a rubber band or string
You can also use a rubber band or string as an alternative to both paper clips and credit cards if those don’t work for you either! Just wrap that thing around your finger before inserting it into the keyhole so that when you pull back on it (while still applying pressure), there will be less resistance from within the lock itself. This might be slower than using something with more teeth like a key or screwdriver.
- Step 1: Take the rubber band and wrap it around the doorknob, so that it goes around the doorknob twice and then loops back on itself.
- Step 2: Pull on both ends of the rubber band until you feel a click and then pull all four ends’ outwards until they are straight and tight, creating a square shape with the rubber band.
- Step 3: Put one hand on each side of the square and pull simultaneously until you hear a second click. This should open your door.
4. Use a screwdriver with a flat end
Use a flat-ended screwdriver to jimmy open the deadbolt lock. You’ll need something thin enough to fit between the tumblers of the lock, but strong enough to withstand some force.
- Method 1: Try turning the lock as if you were unlocking it with your key. If this doesn’t work, insert the flat end of your screwdriver into the space between each tumbler and wiggle it around until you hear or feel something give way.
- Method 2: If the first method doesn’t help, try working with two screwdrivers simultaneously, one on each side of the door frame, until they find a crack or hole in the frame (if possible).
This method can be time-consuming and frustrating since it requires patience and persistence.
5. Call a professional locksmith
If all else fails, call a locksmith to come out and unlock the door for you. Fortunately, Apex Locksmith is here for you anytime to help you unlock your door. We can get you back to your home or office quickly, efficiently and safely. Our expert locksmiths have the skills and experience necessary to handle any lock issue you might have.
With years of experience and a wide variety of services, we can handle any lock-related situation with ease. We offer:
- 24-hour emergency locksmith services
- 24-hour lock-up and secure service after a home burglary
- 24-hour lock-out services
- Lock installation, repair, and replacement
- Key duplication
- Key cutting
- Home security system servicing, repair, and installation
Are You Locked Out? Call Apex Locksmith!
There is no way to be truly prepared for every emergency. When dealing with such unpredictable events, knowing a reliable company that provides an emergency locksmith near you will help relieve you of the stress and pressure of discovering fast solutions.
Whether you need a commercial locksmith, automotive or residential locksmith that is available 24/7, you can count on Apex Locksmiths to be there, especially in car lockout situations! Call us today at (02) 9569 4807!